There are times when trees add value to residential or commercial Burke, Virginia property. For example, they can add visual interest to otherwise flat land. In the summer, a nice hardwood lends a shady area for relaxation. Ornamentals are favorites for landscaping, or fruit trees can be both beautiful and functional. When these types of trees are healthy and in good locations, they don’t usually require any special care from a tree expert.
Not all trees fall into those categories, however, or their growth has simply gone unchecked for far too long. Once a tree has gained significant height, it can present a threat to your home or other structures, such as power lines or street lights. Whether it is a tree that you planted long ago or a problem you inherited from your home’s previous owner, trees that have become dangerous require attention from a quality tree removal service.
Determining if You Need to Remove a Tree From Your Property
Maintaining the trees on your land is part of the responsibility of being a home owner. It doesn’t just affect the value of your property; you could actually be fined or held liable if you ignore a potential tree hazard that ends up damaging structures on land adjacent to yours or causes another person bodily harm.
Therefore, it is a good idea to periodically look at your trees for signs of rot or other damage that may necessitate tree removal. Do you see any broken or dead limbs? Are any of your trees leaning in a particular direction, or does a particular tree seem asymmetrical in the growth of its branches? Is there visible cracking, splitting, discoloration, or any other sign of decay on a tree’s trunk or limbs? If you can say yes to any of these questions, there is a good chance that you need tree and stump removal.
Why You Should Hire a Tree Professional
This is not a job for the untrained, so do not attempt tree cutting on your own. Tree and stump removal requires a level of expertise to be performed safely, and the right tools for the job are also essential. Even if you think you have the knowledge and materials necessary, working from great heights or near electrical wires is far too dangerous to take chances. Play it safe, and let a trustworthy tree removal company do the work properly.
Professional tree surgeons have the experience to remove unwanted trees and stumps efficiently, meaning the job will be done as safely and quickly as possible. This produces the end result of beautifying your property and making your home safer in general. With these benefits, it just makes sense to leave the work to those with know-how instead of putting your life at risk by doing it yourself. The experts at Genesis Tree Removal are happy to consult with you for a free estimate.
Factors That Affect Tree Removal Cost
Once you make the decision to use professional tree removal services, the cost is likely your primary concern. Unfortunately, estimating how much you will spend is not so cut and dry. There are a variety of factors that can affect how much a tree expert will charge to remove your problem tree, and it could end up being as cheap as $150 or as expensive as $1500 or even more for a particularly tricky job. Here are some of the main factors that can affect tree removal prices in Burke, VA:
- Height – The size of the tree that needs to be removed is, by far, the primary aspect that will affect the total price of the job. So, as a general rule, you can expect a lower cost for trees that are 25 feet tall or under. There are simply fewer risks involved and less work. Large tree removal with heights of 75 feet or more are naturally going to be pricey because it takes a lot of skill and labor to safely extract trees so tall.
- Width – As with height, you can expect a greater price for trees with greater breadth. Each cut is thicker and more labor intensive than with a slimmer tree. Naturally, you will pay more for such a difficult job. It is even possible for a particularly wide tree that isn’t so tall to cost more to remove than a narrow yet very high tree.
- Amount of foliage – A dense crown top or other areas of the tree with more than average amounts of foliage can also increase the price of your tree’s removal. This is because it can significantly interfere with the workers’ visibility, which increases the risk of damaging nearby structures or inviting bodily harm.
- Condition – Although you might think dead tree removal may be more dangerous to perform than removing a healthy one, it is quite frequently the opposite. If a tree is thriving and strong, it takes more time and energy to cut through it. Rotting or dead trees are more brittle, so the cuts are easier to make, and the job will go far more quickly.
- Location – Tree removal near your home, power lines, or other structures is far riskier than cutting a tree in the middle of a field. The presence of these things present additional challenges for the tree removers, increasing the risk of damage to both your property and their lives. If your problem tree is in a precarious position, workers may even employ specialized equipment or techniques that would normally be unnecessary.
- Emergency tree removal – A tree that has fallen or is on the verge of doing so, for instance, is a hazard that necessitates emergency tree removal. Such a tree is riskier to deal with because it poses an imminent safety threat to anyone and anything nearby. Also, these trees have often already caused some damage, making it particularly tricky to extract them without causing more damage.
Now that you have a better idea of how certain factors can affect the total cost of removing a tree from your property, you should also know that there are additional services that can influence the bottom line. Sometimes, these services are included in the total tree removal cost, and, other times, they are not. Be sure to thoroughly discuss what is included in your professional estimate, so there are no surprises at the end of the day when you’re presented with a bill.
- Tree limb and trunk removal – You may not think about where all the bits and pieces that are leftover from the removal of your tree go, but it is not a foregone conclusion that hauling off a cut tree down is part of the basic service. It is standard for a tree expert to cut large branches and pieces of the trunk into more manageable pieces, but it isn’t necessarily their responsibility to take the pile of resultant wood with them when the job is finished. Depending on the amount of wood that remains, it could cost you up to $200 more to get it off of your land.
- Limb chipping – As an alternative to having all of the stray limbs hauled off, you can have them chipped to add to your compost heap or use as mulch. Many professional tree removal services have their own wood chipper and can do this for you fairly cheaply. If renting a chipper is necessary, it can cost a bit more because you would be responsible for the equipment rental price in addition to the extra labor for the task.
- Log splitting – Many tree removal companies offer a log splitting service and can bring the necessary machine with them to the job. This is a nice service to employ if your home has a fireplace or wood burning stove. Let’s face it, it’s no fun splitting wood for heat or a romantic fire, and it isn’t cheap to buy a cord of wood. Since there’s already wood on site from your removed tree, you might as well use it.
- Travel – If you’re within the Burke, VA city limits, it is unlikely that you will have to pay for travel expenses for the tree removal service to get to your home. The further you are located from the city limits, however, the more likely it is that you will also incur travel expenses alongside those of the actual tree removal.
- Stump removal – It is extremely rare for tree stump removal to be included in the price of removing your tree. This requires different equipment and is often a sub-contracted job, so, if you don’t want a stump in your yard, expect to pay between approximately $60 and $350 more to get it taken away. The size and health are the primary factors that affect stump removal costs, so larger or healthier stumps typically cost more to remove.
Qualities of a Good Tree Removal Company
Just as there are a multitude of factors that can affect the cost of removing a problem tree from your property, there are a lot of qualities that can make one tree removal company superior to another. Although there are no hard and fast rules to determine which tree removal services are best, there are some things to consider:
- Experience – It stands to reason that a company with years of experience is better equipped than a start-up company to deal with unique tree removal situations. Over time, tree experts have had to overcome an array of challenges that could potentially be similar to your job at hand, and, with more experience, workers become more efficient at their jobs. Genesis Tree Service, for instance, has over 15 years of experience.
- Quality of Equipment and Materials – Big jobs like removing trees require heavy duty tools to complete. If a tree removal service balks at being asked about the equipment and materials they use, it just doesn’t inspire trust. After all, it is easier to work with better quality tools, and this has a huge effect on how quickly and well a tree can be removed. The tree experts at Genesis Tree Service always use the highest quality of equipment and materials available.
- Insurance – Since tree removal is such a risky occupation due to working at great heights with sharp instruments, you may want a company that has liability insurance like Genesis Tree Service. That way, if an unfortunate accident to a worker does occur during the completion of your job, their medical care is covered and isn’t your responsibility. Insurance also covers repairs for any accidents that may cause damage to your property.
- Reputation – One of the best ways to gauge the quality of service a tree removal company provides is to look into their reputation based on previous jobs. A good reputation is reflected in internet reviews, or you can ask fellow home owners about their experiences with various tree removal services. Genesis Tree Service prides itself on a hard-earned reputation for expert service and a loyal customer base.
If there is a tree on your Burke, VA property that may need removal, feel free to turn to Genesis Tree Service for a free estimate. One of our knowledgeable tree experts can come to your home and discuss the options that are available to deal with your unique situation. If you ultimately decide on Genesis to handle your tree removal needs, rest assured the job will be done as safely and efficiently as possible. These Burke-based professionals can also help you with any other tree maintenance issues you may have, such as topping or pruning.